Terry McAuliffe (D) supports same-sex marriage equality.
- “I believe everyone should be treated fairly… I personally favor civil marriage for committed couples of the same-sex,” he said.
- He supports including sexual orientation as a protected class under hate crime legislation.
Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) opposes same-sex marriage equality.
- He has publicly stated that homosexuality leads to polygamy.
Lt. Governor’s Race:
Dr. Ralph Northam M.D. (D) supports same-sex marriage equality.
Bishop E.W. Jackson (R) opposes same-sex marriage equality.
- He’s made outrageous statements about gays and lesbians: “Their minds are perverted, they’re frankly very sick people psychologically, mentally and emotionally and they see everything through the lens of homosexuality. When they talk about love they’re not talking about love, they’re talking about homosexual sex.”
- “Homosexuality is a horrible sin, it poisons culture, it destroys families, it destroys societies; it brings the judgment of God unlike very few things that we can think of… It’s an authoritarian, totalitarian spirit.”
Attorney General Race:
Mark Herring (D) supports same-sex marriage equality and expanded protection from discrimination for LGBT members.
State Senator Mark Obenshain (R) is against same-sex marriage equality and said “marriage is an institution to be entered into between a man and a woman.”
Paid for by Feminist Majority. Not authorized by a candidate.