With only a limited number of days left until the November 2nd elections, coat hangers with KEEP ABORTION LEGAL: KEEP BARBARA BOXER signs are cropping up on campuses—and not a moment too soon.
The race between Senator Barbara Boxer (D) and her challenger Carly Fiorina (R) is still a toss-up—we can take nothing for granted. We cannot afford to lose Senator Boxer—a renowned champion for women’s rights and abortion rights—but that’s what could happen if we don’t mobilize immediately.
A key poll just released shows young people and women comprise the largest segment of undecided voters in the race between Boxer and Fiorina.
This campaign is so crucial, especially considering the fact that another new poll shows that a lot of the women who newly registered and voted in the 2008 Presidential election face a serious information deficit about this year’s campaign. But 61% of those women say that they would be more likely to vote if they knew that they could “defeat a candidate who does not trust women to make decisions about their own reproductive health care.”
Fiorina is one of those candidates, and getting the word out about her extreme anti-choice views will drive voters—particularly newly registered women—to the polls.
That’s why we need your help. The Feminist Majority is spearheading a strategic statewide college campus organizing campaign to make sure students—especially young women—vote for Boxer.
Boxer and Fiorina are diametrically opposed on major issues. Here’s where they stand:
- Abortion Rights: Boxer is the Senate’s foremost defender of women’s reproductive rights. Fiorina has said, “I absolutely would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade if the opportunity presented itself.”
- The Environment: Boxer has been a staunch pro-environment legislator, and opposes new offshore drilling in California. Fiorina supports expanded offshore oil drilling in California and elsewhere, saying, “I believe off-shore oil drilling is absolutely necessary.” Fiorina’s “not sure” if climate change is real.
- Gay Rights: Barbara Boxer supports same-sex marriage and was an early opponent of Prop. 8. Carly Fiorina voted YES on Prop. 8 to outlaw same-sex marriage in California.
- Immigrant Rights: Barbara Boxer is a co-sponsor of the DREAM Act, she supports comprehensive immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship, and opposes Arizona’s new anti-immigrant law, SB 1070. Carly Fiorina supports SB 1070, the new Arizona law cracking down on immigrants, and she opposes a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
Fiorina and her big business backers have millions to throw at this race before the November 2nd election. That’s why it’s so important that we mobilize. We MUST act now to send a clear message to Carly Fiorina that a woman’s right to choose is not for sale. You can help re-elect Boxer by getting involved and spreading the word; here’s how:
- You can volunteer—get involved with the campaign on your campus, or start your own! You can also sign up to help phone bank, or adopt a polling place and volunteer on election day.
- You can donate to the campaign—a donation as little as $5 can go a long way.
- You can follow us on Twitter and find us on Facebook to get up-to-the-minute updates and alerts.
We also want to hear from you! Send us your stories from the ground, your videos, photos or blog posts. This blog is a place to share your experiences, ideas and updates with other campaigners.
The race between Boxer and Fiorina is neck-and-neck. Every vote counts, and student voters can make the difference!